When you buy a product through a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 5 Best Bathroom Exhaust Fans
In order to reduce humidity in your bathroom, you need one of the best bathroom exhaust fans. The humidity levels in your home have a huge influence on indoor air quality. High moisture levels encourage the spread of harmful bacteria and increase allergic and asthma attack incidents. As the bathroom is often the most humid room in your house, you need to find the best bathroom exhaust fan for proper ventilation of your bathroom. Keep reading for the best bathroom exhaust fan reviews and ratings.
In This Article
Best Choice: Panasonic FV-08-11VF5 WhisperFitEZ Fan
The Panasonic FV-08-11VF5 WhisperFitEZ Fan is one of the best bathroom exhaust fans because it’s a quiet fan that doesn’t skimp on the power, so it’s able to ventilate your bathroom with ease.
The Panasonic FV-08-11VF5 WhisperFitEZ Fan is extremely efficient as it is ENERGY STAR® certified. The enclosed Sirocco blower and condenser motor add to this exhaust fan’ efficiency. It delivers an airflow of 110 CFM (cubic feet per minute) to spaces that are 100 square feet or below. It runs quietly and is quite easy to mount either on the ceiling. Once you install it, you can customize the airflow using the Pick-A-Flow speed selector.
As with other Panasonic ventilation fans, the Panasonic FV-08-11VF5 WhisperFitEZ Fan is designed to move large air volumes using less energy. This results in minimal chances of motor failure and overheating. Also, it is built using high-quality materials coupled with rust-free paint, which adds to its durability.
Item Key Features:
- Easy to install using the 4″ and 6″ ducts
- Quieter than other models
- Built-in flow speeds
- Highly flexible and durable
- Installation instructions can be confusing for some
Premium Pick: Panasonic FV-30VQ3 WhisperCeiling 290 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan
The Panasonic FV-30VQ3 WhisperCeiling 390 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan is one of the best bathroom exhaust fans because its stronger motor makes it great for large master bathrooms and helps it remove moisture quickly.
The Panasonic FV-30VQ3 WhisperCeiling 290 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan is made of quality galvanized steel, which is moisture and corrosion-resistant. The 290 CFM rating makes this fan is ideal for your luxurious master bathroom as it can effectively cover an area as huge as 290 square feet. With this kind of airflow, you could use this fan in the living room or even in the kitchen.
The motor is entirely enclosed, a factor that somewhat dampens its sound. It also features a double-tapered bladed blower wheel which moves the air slowly to prevent a high noise output. In spite of a sone rating (how loud a fan is during use) of 2, the Panasonic FV-30VQ3 WhisperCeiling 290 CFM Ceiling Mounted Fan is rather quiet.
Item Key Features:
- Airflow capacity of 290 CFM makes it suitable for an extremely large bathroom
- Has quite a powerful motor
- Very durable
- Inconvenient junction box location
Best Value: Broan-NuTone 678 Ventilation Fan and Light Combination
The Broan-NuTone 678 Ventilation Fan and Light Combination is one of the beset bathroom exhaust fans due to its affordable price tag and ability to perform well in the average bathroom, holding up well with other fans.
The Broan-Nutone 678 Ventilation Fan and Light Combination is long-lasting and efficient without costing you too much money. It’s compact, and the installation is relatively quick and easy unless you are replacing an old ventilation fan. However, whether you call a professional or you intend to replace it yourself, you will still be enjoying better air quality within your bathroom in no time. You do not need to continually refill the fan’ tank with oils as its motor is permanently lubricated.
The lighting feature on this fan supports bulbs with as many as 100 watts. Its lens is shatter-resistant, which makes it disperse light effectively in small spaces. The fan has a versatile design which makes it match in virtually any kind of space. Other key features of the Broan-NuTone 678 include the backdraft damper as well as the polymeric fan impeller.
- Features a galvanized steel body
- Has lights which you can supplement your bathroom light with or use it solely
- Very affordable
- Relatively quiet
- Lighting system comes separately
Best High-Capacity: Broan-Nutone L300 High Capacity Ventilator Fan
The Broan-NuTone L300 High Capacity Ventilator Fan is one of the best bathroom exhaust fans due to its amazing capactiy to move air and its relative quietness despite how well it works.
The Broan-NuTone L300 High Capacity Ventilator Fan features a heavy-duty motor which makes it ideal for public restrooms, conference rooms, dining areas, and other heavy-traffic rooms. Despite its incredible 308 CFM, the fan has a sone rating of only 2.9.
Its housing is made of 20-gauge galvanized steel. This, alongside an 8″ metal duct connector, ensures its longevity. Its low RPM motor is permanently lubricated, so you do not have to continually oil it. You can customize the fan ducts to align vertically, horizontally, or inline with an isolated adapter depending on your needs. The fan can either be installed in your ceiling or mounted on your wall.
The Broan-NuTone L300 High Capacity Ventilator Fan has a low-profile grille that blends in seamlessly with any type of ceiling. The fan is available either in white enamel steel or white polymer grille. You can control the sound level and blower speed using the Broan Electronic Variable Speed Control for ease of use.
- Incredible rating of 308 CFM make it suitable for large spaces
- Sone rating of 2.9, quiet despite its power
- Has a single, impact-resistant blower wheel that is permanently lubricated
- On the pricey side
- The Broan Electronic Variable Speed Control is purchased separately
Best Light Fixture: Broan-Nutone HD80L Heavy Duty Ventilation Fan and Light Combo
The Broan-NuTone HD80L Heavy Duty Ventilation Fan is our favorite lighted option and is the best bathroom exhaust fan if you want additional lighting in your bathroom. This product is ENERGY STAR certified and comes with shatter-resistant lenses.
The Broan-NuTone HD80L Heavy Duty Ventilation Fan is designed to withstand the heavy use in a home or bathroom environment. The fan and light combo reduce the moisture levels, odors, and mold, and mildew in your home by providing you with 80 CFM. This means that it can serve a bathroom space of up to 80 square feet. With a sone rating of only 2.5, the NuTone HD80L is not noisy.
The fan has an enclosed motor design that ensures continuous operation and protection from dust and debris. This, along with the heavy-duty bearings, make this fan quite durable. The fan is UL listed. This means you can use it over a shower or a bathtub on the condition that you connect it to a GFCI-protected circuit.
It is relatively easy to install or replace as it has polymeric duct connectors with pointed sleeves. These make it easy to mount your bathroom fan and secure it with mounting brackets.
- Comes with a lighting feature
- Shatter-resistant light diffusing lens
- ENERGY STAR certified
- Light bulbs not included
Important Bathroom Exhaust Fan Features to Consider
While most of us love taking long luxurious showers, the steam and moisture that results from such wreak havoc on your home’ air quality. This is especially the case if you have not invested in a bathroom vent fan. But how do you go about shopping for one? Here are the top things you should consider:
The CFM & Air Circulation
How many square feet is your bathroom? The answer to this question will help you select a bathroom vent fan that suits your requirements. One of the key ratings on most bathroom fans is the CFM (cubic feet per minute). This refers to the volume of air the fan circulates every minute.
According to the Home Ventilation Institute, your bathroom fan should replace the air in your room at least eight times an hour. This means that your fan should have at least 1CFM for each square foot of your bathroom’ floor space. For example, if your bathroom is 80 square feet, you need an 80 CFM rated fan. The Home Ventilating Institute recommends adding 50 CFM for each toilet or shower.
The noise that a bathroom fan makes has no bearing on its efficiency or performance. However, if you perceive your bathroom as a safety and relaxation haven, you might want to choose a bathroom fan that operates with minimal noise. The noise in bathroom fans is rated in sones. A sone refers to the measurement of sound with regard to how an average listener will sense it. The sone range in bathroom fans ranges from >1 to 5, where one sone is equivalent to the sound made by a kitchen refrigerator. As the sone scale is linear, a bathroom vent fan with a rating of 4 sones is four times as loud as that with a sone rating of 1.
Energy-efficiency is a major concern when anyone is purchasing any home appliance. Fortunately, modern bathroom exhaust fans are extremely energy-efficient. Bathroom exhaust fans that have an ENERGY STAR label have to be certified independently by the Air Movement and Control Association and the Home Ventilating Institute. Some energy-efficient bathroom exhaust fans are 70% more efficient compared to other fans such as pedestal fans.
The three most common types of bathroom exhaust fan vents include:
- Ceiling-mounted fans: This is the most popular type of bathroom fan. It can only be mounted on the ceiling, and it features ductwork which connects with the ductwork on your roof to expel the humidity out of your home.
- Wall-mounted fans: This is installed on the exterior wall of your bathroom, and it pulls the humid air outside. Such models do not require any ductwork. However, they could leave a permanent imprint on your wall.
- Inline fans: Such bathroom fans can be installed either in the ceiling or mounted on the wall. They feature a motor that is placed between ducts. It pulls humid air to the outdoors remotely. This would be the perfect choice if you plan to have multiple exhaust fans in a large bathroom. One remote fan can be used to control the humidity in multiple bathrooms.
Bathroom exhaust fans have not been left behind when it comes to smart features. Some of the features that might come in handy include:
- Integrated lighting and night light: Modern models have lights that could replace your bathroom’s lighting system. They could also be used to add supplementary lighting to your bathroom space. Some have night lights help illuminate your bathroom space at night, thus you do not have to turn the main light on.
- Humidity sensing bathroom fans: These additional features help improve your fan’ efficiency and also conserve energy. A humidity sensor monitors the humidity levels in your home and turns on the fan if they exceed a certain level. The fan will automatically shut off once the humidity reduces. Motion sensors turn the fan on once you set foot in your bathroom.
- Built-in heaters: This can come in handy in areas with cold climatic conditions as it adds more warmth in the bathroom much like a fireplace fan.
- Multi-speed settings: Some complex exhaust fans enable you to choose the CFM rating you prefer based on your needs at the moment.
- Controls: Bathroom fans which have multiple functions normally have controls for each of these functions.
Once you select the best bathroom exhaust fan for your space, we highly recommend having a professional do the installation.
How Bathroom Exhaust Fans Improve Your Household
There are a host of benefits that come from investing in the best bathroom exhaust fan. One of the main benefits is enhanced air quality. Apart from getting rid of the excessive humidity, a bathroom vent fan eliminates unwanted odors and steam. Also, excessive moisture, steam, and humidity not only affect your bathroom but your entire home. This, additionally, is why you need a range hood over your stove, a rv vent fan in your RV, and an attic exhaust fan or solar attic fan in your attic. Regardless of your budget and your home’ requirements, there is a unit in the market that will suit your needs.
The Best Bathroom Exhaust Fan For Your Home
All the different bathroom exhaust fans on this list are fantastic in their own ways, but if I had to pick my absolute favorite, it would have to be the Panasonic FV-08-11VF5 WhisperFitEZ. I have this model installed in all the bathrooms in my home because it’s the perfect size: not too big, but not too small, either.
It’s quiet but powerful, which I love (especially late at night or early in the morning). This fan isn’t going to be perfect for everyone’s needs because how effective a fan is is going to depend heavily on how large the bathroom is, but for my needs, this is the best bathroom exhaust fan. After I installed the first one in my and my husband’s bathroom, I knew I needed one in every other bathroom, too!