When you buy a product through a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you want to stay cool, then the best oscillating ceiling fan is an excellent low-cost option. Ceiling fans are a great way to circulate air and stay fresh. In this article, we’re going to explore the best oscillating ceiling fan reviews and ratings and how these fans can transform your spaces to make them so much more comfortable.
When it comes to cooling down, indoor or outdoor ceiling fans can work wonders. However, they are not always great about circulating air since some options can only move air in one direction. A much better alternative is to install the best oscillating ceiling fan, as these fans provide better results without any hassle. We found the five best oscillating ceiling fans so you can pick the right one. Keep reading to discover the best options available on the market today.
In This Article
iLIVING ILG8E18-15 Wall Mount Outdoor Waterproof Fan, 18-inch is the best oscillating ceiling fan because it can be used outdoors with a compatible misting unit. It has three speeds and is easy to move and lock into place.
The iLIVING ILG8E18-15 Wall Mount Outdoor Waterproof Fan, 18-inch is the perfect accessory for your garage, deck, or patio. One of the issues with standard ceiling fans is that they can only work indoors. However, living in a hot and humid environment means that you need something outside as well. As one of the best oscillating ceiling fans, it offers superior performance and reliability. In addition, because it’s made for outdoor conditions, you don’t have to worry about it breaking down, overheating, or rusting.
Another benefit we like about this fan is that it’s compatible with a misting control system. So, if you want to make your deck even more inviting, you can blow cool water on yourself and your guests. This add-on is perfect for those hot summer days when you want to enjoy the weather without getting too hot and sticky.
This fan has three distinct speeds, which you can control via the pull-down handle. Also, it’s super easy to move it into position and lock it into place. While it doesn’t have a motor to keep the fan moving, it moves more than enough air to make it an ideal choice for all situations.
- Heavy airflow
- Three adjustable speeds
- Can be paired with a misting unit
- Built for outdoor use
- Quiet operation
- No built-in motor for oscillation – manual movement only
Craftmade Bellows III Dual Mount 21 inch Outdoor Reversible Oscillating Ceiling Fan is the best oscillating ceiling fan because it includes a remote control to adjust the speed. It comes in two different styles and has mold- and rust-resistant housing.
The Craftmade Bellows III Dual Mount 21 inch Outdoor Reversible Oscillating Ceiling Fan is both elegant and rugged, meaning that it won’t look out of place inside or outside your home. When choosing the best oscillating ceiling fan, you want to decide based on appearance as well as performance. Since this product will be mounted to the wall or ceiling, you need to make sure that it will enhance your home’s aesthetic.
This remote control ceiling fan can adjust the speed of the ceiling fan blades, and you can customize how often it oscillates. Depending on where it’s mounted and the ambient temperature, this level of control is extra convenient. Another element we appreciate about this model is that it’s available in either aged bronze or stainless steel. So, whether you’re going for a sleek, modern look or something more vintage, you can choose the option that’s right for your home. Finally, since this fan is made for outdoor use, the motor and housing are built to resist mold and rust. Simply put, you can rely on the comfort of this product for years to come.
- Elegant appearance
- Remote control with multiple speed settings
- Easy installation
- Mold- and rust-resistant housing
- Cannot mount on angled or vertical surfaces
Air King 9314 14-Inch Industrial Grade High Velocity Multi Mount Fan is the best oscillating ceiling fan because it is easy to install. It has three speed settings and is built to last.
Sometimes, the best oscillating ceiling fan is the one that’s most cost-effective and easiest to install; if you’re not looking for any fancy, then the Air King 9314 14-Inch Industrial Grade High Velocity Multi Mount Fan is the perfect choice. It’s simple and efficient design works well in almost any condition, and its affordable price point means that you can buy one for every room in your home.
The primary reason we like this fan is that it can be mounted anywhere. Walls, ceilings, support beams, patios, bedrooms, living rooms, garages – anywhere you can imagine, you can install this fan there. This model is one of the most versatile and doesn’t require any electrical knowledge to set it up. Simply screw the bracket in, plug in the cord, and you’re ready to go.
Another feature we appreciate about this model is the pull-string on the back. This way, if you have it mounted above you, you don’t have to get a step stool to turn it on and adjust the speed settings. The string that comes with it originally is a bit short, but you can easily tie something to it to make it more accessible. Finally, this fan is built tough with a permanently lubricated motor. It will last years no matter where you place it.
- Rugged design
- Extra-easy mounting system
- Three speed settings
- In rare cases, the fan may shake a lot on the highest speed
The Home Decorators Collection Bentley II 18 in. Oscillating Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan is the best oscillating ceiling fan because it has a brushed nickel finish. The motor is sealed for outdoor use, and it provides reliable operation.
If we liked the Air King for being highly versatile and easy to install, the Home Decorators Collection Bentley II 18 in. Oscillating Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan is just the opposite. What makes this the best oscillating ceiling fan is that it can upgrade any room in your home. The primary difference is that you need to be absolutely sure where you want it before mounting it.
Once you do get this brushed nickel ceiling fan installed, it comes with a handy wall switch. You can simply turn it on and off, and you can adjust the oscillation speed as well. There are three settings available, making it ideal for all weather conditions.
The appearance of this fan is also incredible. It has a brushed nickel finish and powder-coated blades, so it will look elegant and classy no matter where you put it. The motor is even sealed for outdoor use, so you have plenty of flexibility when deciding where to install it. Overall, if you like the idea of having a permanent oscillating fan inside your home, this unit is perfect.
- Brushed nickel finish
- Three oscillating speeds
- Motor controls the fan’s movement
- Reliable operation
- Only one fan speed
The Air King 9718 18-Inch Industrial Grade Ceiling Mount Fan is the best oscillating ceiling fan because it is one of the most high-powered options. It is insulated to prevent rusting and corrosion, plus it has three speed options and is easy to install.
The Air King 9718 18-Inch Industrial Grade Ceiling Mount Fan is perfect for both outdoor and garage use. Whether you need to cool down quickly or increase airflow, this unit is one of the most high-powered options available.
As with the other Air King fan on this list, this fan is easy to mount. It comes with a bigger and sturdier mounting bracket, however, because it can move so much air at once. At the top speed, it’s rated at over 8000 CFM, which is way higher than anything else we’ve seen. Realistically, this commercial ceiling fan is designed to increase air circulation in a warehouse or industrial garage, making it more than suitable for your needs.
Another reason we like this fan is that it’s built tough. The motor is insulated to prevent rusting and corrosion, and each component is powder-coated so it will last for years. This is both the most powerful and most reliable ceiling fan you can buy.
- Rugged design
- High-powered air circulation
- Easy installation and mounting
- Three speed options
- Not designed for smaller enclosed spaces
Features to Consider for the Best Oscillating Ceiling Fan
If you want to choose the best oscillating ceiling fan, you need to know which features to look for and compare first. So, to help you make the right decision for your home, we’ve compiled a list of what to look for during your search.
When comparing oscillating ceiling fan reviews, you’ll see that they have a CFM rating. CFM stands for cubic feet per minute, and it refers to how much air the fan can move overall. On the low end, these units can be rated at around 1300-1500 CFM. On the high end, you’ll see numbers like 5000-8000. At first, it may seem better to get the highest CFM rating, but it really depends on your needs. For example, if you’re going to mount a fan in your living room, you don’t want it blowing papers and other things around when it’s at full speed. Typically speaking, about 1500-2000 CFM is ideal for interior spaces.
Another thing to consider with airflow is the noise level of your fan. No matter how well-designed a model is, a higher CFM means that it will be louder. If you’re trying to relax and create a gentle breeze, you want to avoid industrial-strength units.
As you may have noticed, some fans on this list don’t move by themselves – you have to position them manually. If you want a fan that will oscillate itself, you have to buy one with a motor. However, this feature isn’t always ideal. Sometimes, it’s better to have the fan in one position, rather than moving side to side. Also, those fans with an extra motor have to be mounted to a flat ceiling – not at an angle. So, if you have vaulted ceilings or you want to mount the fan vertically, you have to go with a manual unit instead.
Nothing is more convenient than being able to turn on your fan remotely. However, not all oscillating ceiling fans have this capability. Usually, these models use a pull-string to turn it on and adjust the speed. Ideally, you’ll want a model that has both options so that you don’t have to worry about losing the remote or having to change the batteries whenever you want the fan to work.
Finally, since you’ll be mounting the best oscillating ceiling fan, you want to make sure that it looks good. Fortunately, some models are designed to create a classy, vintage appearance such as a chandelier ceiling fan or a double ceiling fan. In addition, brushed metal or aged bronze finishes are perfect for creating an elegant vibe to your space. However, depending on your situation, you may prefer performance to aesthetics.
Benefits of Using Oscillating Ceiling Fans
Usually, when installing a fan indoors, you’ll want to get a standard ceiling fan like a propeller fan. However, just because they are the traditional option doesn’t mean that they’re always the best. Here are a few reasons why you should choose the best oscillating ceiling fan instead.
- Better airflow – a standard ceiling fan can only move in one direction. Oscillating models, however, can increase circulation, making them a better choice in hot and humid environments.
- Versatile mounting options – typically speaking, you can install an oscillating fan in more places than you could a larger, more cumbersome ceiling fan. While motorized units do need a flat surface, manual fans can be mounted practically anywhere. Even better, these models can usually go outside, making them even more customizable.
- Easier installation – if you want to add a new ceiling fan to your interior space, you need to call a professional. The best oscillating ceiling fan, however, doesn’t always require an electrician. Simply mount it to a stud and plug it into an outlet and you’re ready to go.
- Higher power – there is a limit to how much air a standard ceiling fan can move. Industrial-grade oscillating fans can be so much better at providing sufficient airflow for a wider array of spaces, such as for use as a garage ceiling fan. In some instances, you can cool your garage or patio much faster than you could with anything else.
Precautions of Using Oscillating Ceiling Fans
Although the best oscillating ceiling fan will add value and comfort to your home, it’s not without some potential drawbacks. Before making a final decision, consider these factors.
- Noise level – some fans can be quite loud at high speeds. If you mount the unit outside, it’s not as big of a deal; if you plan to buy a bedroom ceiling fan, the noise may become an issue.
- Manual vs. motorized oscillation – in some cases, being able to move the fan manually is better. In others, you’ll want to be able to control the oscillation remotely. Figure out which option is best for your needs before deciding.
- Design aesthetic – one benefit of standard ceiling fans is that there are so many design choices – from cage enclosed ceiling fans to low profile ceiling fans. However, no matter which oscillating ceiling fan you choose, they all have an industrial look to them, which may not always work for your space. If you want a more rustic look, try looking at leaf ceiling fans instead.
- Mounting – typically speaking, motorized oscillating ceiling fans can’t be placed at an angle. Also, some models require professional installation. Be sure to pay attention to any restrictions before mounting your new fan.
- Cleaning – Because these fans are enclosed, they can be difficult to clean. You won’t be able to use a traditional ceiling fan duster due to the shape, so if you want to clean the blades more easily, you may want to make your own duster.
When talking about the best oscillating ceiling fan review, we have to say that the iLIVING ILG8E18-15 Wall Mount Outdoor Waterproof Fan, 18-inch is the best choice. We love the rugged and reliable construction of it, as well as the high-powered airflow. Although this model doesn’t have a motor to control the oscillation, we’ve found that manual operation is usually better. This way, you can mount the fan in any direction and customize it however you see fit. Also, considering that this fan is waterproof, it can work in almost any condition or situation.