When you buy a product through a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 5 Best Outdoor Fans
There are many people who like to relax and bask in the glory of the outdoors, so it’s important to stay cool with the best outdoor fan. Whether there is a summer heatwave coming through or the climate is just extremely humid during a camping trip, a fan for outdoor use can help people stay cool the whole time. If you’re driving to a campsite, you even can stay cool on the way with a car fan before setting up your outdoor camping fan. While there are many different types of fans out there to choose from, this buying guide for the best outdoor fan reviews & ratings will help you source the available fans on the market today.
In This Article
Best Choice: Hurricane Fan, Super 8 Oscillating 16 Inch Wall in Black
The Hurricane Fan, Super 8 Oscillating 16 Inch Wall in Black is the best outdoor fan because it has a unique figure-8 pattern, plus it operates with minimal noise and is coated using vinyl wire.
We are confident that the features of the Hurricane Fan, Super 8 Oscillating 16 Inch Wall in Black place it slightly above the other options on this list. First, this high quality fan is unique because it uses a figure-8 pattern to produce better air circulation in a uniform manner. In addition, there are three separate fan speeds, which can be customized to the user’s preference. This fan is small enough to use as a table fan on an outdoor patio or picnic table. Even the oscillation speed of this fan can be controlled. The design of this outdoor fan makes it perfect for sunrooms, covered patios, or gazebos, and it also minimizes excess noise and distraction. Finally, it has even been coated using vinyl wire.
- Produces uniform air using a figure-8 pattern
- Produces a steady flow of air with minimal noise
- Users can control the speed to direct airflow in a more precise way
- The figure-8 oscillation pattern can be a bit distracting
Premium Pick: HydroMist 3-Speed 18-inch Shrouded Outdoor Wall Mount Oscillating Fan
The HydroMist 3-Speed 18-inch Shrouded Outdoor Wall Mount Oscillating Fan is the best outdoor fan because it can be retrofitted to provide misting capabilities. It is great for a variety of options and can be mounted for added versatility.
Up next is the HydroMist 3-Speed 18-inch Shrouded Outdoor Wall Mount Oscillating Fan, an ideal option for a variety of settings, including outdoor kitchens, living spaces, warehouses, and garages. In addition, it has three different speeds, allowing the user to tailor the fan speed to meet their needs. With safety in mind, there is even a chrome fan guard that provides added protection. It comes with wall mounts and anchors so the fan can be hung out of the way in a pergola or other outdoor spaces. While this fan isn’t marketed as a commercial outdoor fan or industrial fan, it’s the most powerful fan on this list. Finally, this fan can also be retrofitted to provide misting capabilities as well.
- One of the most powerful options on the market
- Includes anchors to hang the fan
- Provides misting capabilities when retrofitted
- A little challenging to add the misting capability
Best Value: Lasko 20-inch High Velocity QuickMount Floor or Wall Fan
The Lasko 20-inch High Velocity QuickMount Floor or Wall Fan is the best outdoor fan because it can stand on the floor on be hung on a wall. Minimal assembly is required and there are three speeds for ideal airflow.
The Lasko 20-inch High Velocity QuickMount Floor or Wall Fan has all the necessities that someone is looking for without breaking the bank. It is versatile and can be used in a garage, shop, or even an attic, and its pivoting head helps spread out the airflow. Furthermore, this fan has a quick-mount capability, which allows the fan to be hung as well. As an added benefit, there is minimal assembly required.
- One of the least expensive options on the market, making it a great value
- Versatile – can either be stood on the floor or hung on the wall
- Comes with three different speeds
- While the frame of this fan is durable, the stand is not
Runner Up: iLIVING 18-Inch Wall Mount Outdoor Waterproof Fan in Black
The iLIVING 18-Inch Wall Mount Outdoor Waterproof Fan in Black is the best outdoor fan because it includes a pull chain to easily control the speed. It can even be converted into a misting fan with an extra kit.
The iLIVING 18-Inch Wall Mount Outdoor Waterproof Fan in Black has blades measuring 18 inches, providing added airflow. This outdoor fan has multiple speeds controlled with a pull chain. Furthermore, it has been sealed with a permanently lubricated motor, adding to its safety. Thanks to its balanced structure, it is incredibly durable. Finally, this option can also be converted into a misting fan using a separate kit.
- Can be converted to a misting fan with an extra kit
- Design is built to last with a lubricated motor
- Easy-to-control, adjustable speeds
- The pull-chain feature can be confusing
Honorable Mention: Geek Aire 10-Inch Rechargeable Outdoor High Velocity Floor Fan
The Geek Aire 10-Inch Rechargeable Outdoor High Velocity Floor Fan is the best outdoor fan because it is powerful yet operates quietly. It can be used both as an indoor fan and outdoor fan.
The Geek Aire 10-Inch Rechargeable Outdoor High Velocity Floor Fan is different in that it uses a brushless DC motor and a rechargeable feature, making it both green and easy to use. This pedestal fan also has different speeds while operating quietly, making the distractions minimal. Finally, this option is also versatile because it can be used both indoors and out.
- Unique operating system provides efficiency
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Quiet yet powerful operation, good for napping outdoors
- This fan is a bit heavy, which might make it hard to move from place to place
Features to Consider for the Best Outdoor Fan
When someone is looking for the best outdoor fan to meet their needs, there are a few features to consider, including:
- First, make sure to take a look at the cooling capabilities of the fan. Some fans are more capable of cooling an outdoor area than others, depending on the number of fan blades and other different elements. Because there aren’t typically any walls to contain the flow of air throughout a large, open area, some fans are going to do this better than others.
- Next, take a look at whether or not the fan has adjustable speeds. Some areas are bigger than others. Therefore, some outdoor areas are going to require more airflow.
- In addition, be sure to take a look at the versatility of the outdoor fan. Some outdoor fans can be deployed in different ways such as a garage, shop, or porch with ease. Some even have remote control functionality.
- Look for energy efficient models with an Energy Star® rating. This way, an excess of energy isn’t wasted whenever the fan is in use.
- Finally, be sure to take a look at whether or not assembly is needed as well. Some fans require extensive assembly, which may be challenging to complete. This time and hassle might not be worth it.
Benefits of Using Outdoor Fans
When someone takes the time to find the best outdoor fan, there are a number of benefits to enjoy, including:
- Everyone will stay cool while enjoying the outdoors. During those hot and humid days, the temperature can make it hard to stay outside for extended periods of time. Having the right outdoor fan can solve this issue—just make sure your fan is wet rated so it isn’t damaged by humidity or rain.
- Any noise will be minimized. Sometimes, having an outdoor fan can produce a lot of noise, making it hard for people to focus on what is happening. With the right outdoor fan, the distractions will be minimized.
- Finally, superior outdoor fans will also provide other options for people to stay cool. Some fans have adjustable speeds that control air movement, while others might have a misting feature that can be added on. These features separate the top outdoor fans from the rest.
While these benefits are definitely important to note, there are also several precautions people need to take when looking for the right outdoor fan as well.
Precautions of Using Outdoor Fans
When someone is looking for the best outdoor fan, there are a few precautions to keep in mind, including:
- Make sure to note what is included with the outdoor fan. Some people might be looking for a fan that has an outdoor misting feature included. At the same time, most of these outdoor fans are not going to include additional features, and they will be sold separately.
- Ensure to look at the box to note whether or not the fan runs on batteries or a power cord. If the fan runs on batteries, make sure to note whether or not the batteries are included. Also, note whether or not the power cord is included with the fan.
- Furthermore, check and see how heavy the fan is and whether or not assembly is required. Sometimes, the assembly process can be a bit confusing. Some fans are also quite heavy, making them hard to move from place to place.
- Check what material the fan is made of. Different fans have different quality builds, and metal frames are more likely to hold up than plastic. However, a fully outdoor fan made of metal may rust if it isn’t designed in stainless steel to protect from the elements. Plastic blades will protect children better if their hands go into the blades, but they may not last as long.
Taking note of these precautions will help people find the best damp rated fan that is right for them, which will make a difference in the quality of the airflow and cooling capacities of the system.
In the end, the top pick for the best outdoor fan is the Hurricane Fan, Super 8 Oscillating 16 Inch Wall in Black because it simply checks all the boxes that someone needs in an outdoor fan. It produces a steady flow of air, and the airflow is easily controllable. The figure-8 pattern is unique and keeps the air circulating. Finally, this outdoor fan is versatile and can fit a variety of applications. These benefits have made the Hurricane Fan, Super 8 Oscillating 16 Inch Wall in Black our top pick for those looking for a superior outdoor fan.